Thursday 31 March 2022

Dear God - A praying contest!

 Dear Piya,

Today is March 31, 2022.

That means tomorrow will be Papa's birthday.

And that is what has brought much mirth in our lives, today.

Yes, that his birthday is on April 1 is funny for a silly reason, but this letter to you is about what conversed on the dinner table today.

"Do you not want to cut a cake tomorrow, Amit?" I asked Papa at dinner.

"Nope." He replied.

Your eyes went from me to him, and then back to me, and and then back to him.

After that, you said, "But it's your birthday, Papa!"

Amit looked at you with some surprise in his eyes and asked, "Yes, so what baccha?"

"So you need to cut the cake! It's not Mumma's birthday or my birthday. So YOU have to cut the cake." You elaborated.

While Amit and I exchanged looks of wonder, he managed to say, "Yes, I know that it's my birthday...but I don't like cutting a cake. How about you cut on my behalf?"

"But it's not my birthday, it's YOURS!" You insisted.

While I managed to supress a laugh, he said something weird.

"Okay...how about we make it your birthday tomorrow?"

"No!" You were quick to revert.

And then began the dramatic praying contest.

Amit folded his hands in prayer, looked up towards the ceiling, and said, "Dear God, please make it Piya's birthday tomorrow!"

You found this as a bizzare turn of conversation, and rightly asked him, much to his surprise, "Do you want me to grow up fast, Papa?"

He laughed aloud, before he could manage to reply with, "Sure, that would be nice wouldn't it?"

"No! I will be 5 then and all my friends wi remain 4, so I will be left with no friends in my class!"

"You will make new friends na?" He continued his silliness with.

"No, Papa!" You retorted before folding your own hands and repeating his prayer-style with, "Dear God, please don't accept Papa's request! I don't want my birthday to be tomorrow."

"Dear God, please make Piya's birthday happen tomorrow. She has been a good girl so bless her with a birthday sharing with Papa."

"Dear God, do not listen to Papa..."

"Dear God, I will do anything if you make her birthday happen tomorrow. Don't listen to Piya...look at her feet...they are black with paint..."

"Dear God, Papa hasn't even changed his clothes after coming from office! Don't listen to him."

I pointed out that you both were bordering on demeaning each other, so your prayers changed for good. But the prayers remained weird & hilarious for quote some time.

You may be wondering how it ended.

Well, this is how.

You climbed on his shoulders and started pulling his hair to make him stop his ridiculous prayers 🤣

I wish I had a video capturing all of what happened, for this letter may not cover even a tenth of what idiocy kept flowing through the dinner table tonight!

Your expresions, your cheeky replies, your persistence and your father's childishness are a sight at times, I tell you!

 Anyway, here is my take on the whole thing - No, darling, we don't want you to grow up too fast. If you were to, then we would dearly miss these events that make for find memories for a lifetime, won't we?

Stay the wondrous child you are for as long as your heart desires ❤️


Love,

Maa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...