Monday 12 August 2019

The snoozing sweet spot

Dear Piya,
From as long as I can remember, my sleep cycle has gone for a toss ever since I welcomed you in my heart.
When inside me, you found immense pleasure in kicking every corner of my bulge ping tummy from within, all night long. And if that wasn’t enough, my bladder served as a squeeze-ball for your entertainment every few hours.
After birth, you woke up every 1-2 hours demanding satisfaction for your little appetite, as if an all-night-buffet was tagged on my head.
And then it took a while for you to accept that human beings sleep at a stretch at night, after I stopped breast feeding you; which is to say that your thirst during night was twice as much as during daytime.

But all of this is not the centre-point of this letter.
This letter is about the time you were completely trained with pee-pee & potty control.

Spoiler alert - That is yet to happen.
Centre-point alert - I have no issues with that.

All the while that you were on breastfeed & then again thereafter, the only thing you did not trouble the night with was your pee-pee & potty.
I did act stupidly some time into your birth by avoiding diapers, but I have not had better days ever since I started making you wear them!
Be it use-&-throw or be it reusable ones, diapers are a boon to any mother, and of course to babies too!
They make a baby sleep like an angel through the night.
This in turn means that the mother’s dark circles get saved from getting a deeper hue.

Thankfully, you got trained to do potty on the pot only, since you were 14 months old.
But pee-pee training has taken quite a long time for you.
Now that you are over two years old, I am told that you should be made to sleep without a diaper.

Here is where I should tell you something.
You took a while to adjust with sleeping through the night after we stopped night feed. It is only since some weeks that I have realised what it feels like to have 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep; something I had forgotten for 3 years, now!

I really don’t care what ought to be or should be done with your diaper.
There is no one-size-fits-all, believe me.
Some babies get trained by the age of two, while some kids wet the bed after 5 years of age too.

Amidst all of the motherly concern over a silky diaper, I also have to address the sleepless girl inside me, who has been robbed of dreams for years.
I owe it to her to enjoy this snoozing sweet spot, as a little girl sleeps heavenly besides her.

I will let her have this time, before I rob her off a sleep-cycle again, with your night-pee-training.

Till then, sweet dreams, my love.


Love,
Maa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...