Tuesday 4 February 2020

Little Granny

Dear Piya,

You started to talk since an early age, sooner than many babies your age.
And all the joy that I experienced while enjoying your lisp-filled-chubby-talks have faded away a bit ever since you have donned the cap of a 'Little Grandmother' in our home.

I am not exaggerating.

You have started mimicking the sentences your father and I exchange.
This should only go on to tell you how very careful we have to be, weighing every word spoken aloud, with you around.
So, we put on our genius caps and came up with the solution being that of spelling out the words that ought not fall upon your sucker ears.

It goes without saying that 'chocolate', 'ice-cream', 'pani puri' and the likes were the first ones to make the cut. These were the 'troublemaker words' and so they had to be careful of.
In fact, so used to did we become to spelling out words that once, your Papa spelled out a not-so-troublemaker word to a guest who had come, even while you weren't in the room.
It may not seem like something to laugh about now, but we had quite a hahahaha-moment that time.

Now, the little grandmother in you has come to surface owing to the things we say to each other with regards to you.
So, while you father keeps telling me things he thinks I ought to do better, I do the same. One of these was telling him once that your cries seem to become aggravated when you are given a hug forcefully.
After a long day at work, Daddy-dearest wishes for you to come running into his arms to help melt away his fatigue, but you are not always in the mood to shower the same. In times like these, if you are given a tight hug, nevertheless, you seem to show your best cry aloud.

And so, I was telling your father to not insist on the same, you know, for the benefit of our ears.

You seemed to have heard this so well that the next day when you were offered a hug in the same manner, you cried with a "You were told not to do this na? Why are you doing it?"
You said it like a little granny!
You even had your 'talk to the hand' look up!

Your dad shot a surprised look in your direction, followed by an irate one in mine!
You are just 2.5 years of age, and you are already getting me into trouble, you little granny!
The worst part was that I laughed so hard, I had tears rolling down my cheeks. This did not help your father's mood get any better. Not that this slowed my laughter, no sir!

Anyway, the moral of the story is that it is only going to get tougher & tougher conversing with others around you. I just hope you don't end up blurting out something nasty that I said, the next time.
Not that I say anything nasty, alright?
Okay, this letter ought to end right now.

Love,
Maa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...