Friday 14 February 2020

Then and now - part 1

Dear Piya,
I am starting this letter as the first of many ‘Then & now’ letter-series that I am sure I will end up writing to you.
The ‘Then’ will always stand for the time period that the ‘Now’ makes seem like an eternity ago.

You are a few months short of being 3 years old and I am already experiencing a huge gap between then and now; so I ought to tell you how much you have grown and how nostalgic this little time-frame makes me feel.

You know about how I have kept writing to you about the small & big things that make up our life.
But what you do not know is that despite wanting to write more, I have not been able to encompass everything I would have wanted to.
Your precious Papa makes it a point to bring many such memories to my notice every now & then. And so, on Valentine’s Day this year, when he & I started talking about the years gone by (it feels customary for married couples to engage in such trivia-talk on special occasions), we just couldn’t dissociate you from love. Funny, how we dabbed upon our love for each other for just a few minutes and then quickly went on to talking about our love for you for a long, long time!

We started talking about all the cute acts that you have entertained us with alongside growing up wonderfully.
And like a quintessential child, you have given us many an adorable lisp-filled memories.
From those, I want to tell you about a particularly fascinating memory, that your father mentioned I skipped having written about.

Till a year, or so, back, your hold around words was just getting solidified.
It is during one of those days that you got attached to a game we played, called ‘Statue!’
When said ‘Statue!’ to, by anyone pointing their fingers in your direction as if they were holding a gun, you are supposed to become a statue; not supposed to move at all, for as long as the same person doesn’t say ‘Over!’

You laughed like you were being tickled rigorously, every time I shouted ‘Statue!’ in your direction.
And soon enough, you started holding your gun-like-fingers towards me and ordering ‘Statue!’
You used to get really riled up if I did not obey the rule to stop moving.
And while quite adorable, this wasn’t my favourite part of the game.
What was, though, was the way you pronounced ‘statue’.

Tachoo.
That’s what you said.

Try saying it right now as you read this. You will know why I am laughing hard already as I write this!

It was such a cute, adorable to the point of wanting to hug you & shower multiple kisses upon your innocent face, till the point you screamed your way out of my tight hug.
But, sadly, every time I brought out the camera to record this loveable moment, you would shut your mouth zip tight.

Your father loved these instances of ‘Tachoo’ from you and kept asking me to record a video of the same, but it never got recorded.

When he brought it up yesterday with reference to how you perfectly pronounce ‘statue’ now, it became a nice walk down the memory lane from ‘then’ to ‘now’.

We miss those days of your ‘Tachoo’ talks, baby.
And while every single day with you seems like a memory in the making, remembering the same always comes along with a soft sigh on our lips; knowing that those days will never come back is a little heart-breaking.

May the days to come be filled with more such sighs, though.
That’s all I desire for.

Happy Valentine’s Day.


Love,
Maa.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...