Monday 22 November 2021

The important things in life

 Dear Piya,

"It is through a child that we learn to live our lives again."

I would like to believe that this a famous quote by someone. But if it isn't, then even better as I can lay claim on these words to live by.

I have always found the essence of childhood in this word - Little.
Children are cute, because they are little.
They look adorable in all things little.
Whatever mistakes they make are forgiven because the mistakes are little.
And it is through everything 'little' that we find the essence of life as it is these littles that eventually make for a big life worth looking back at.

I have drifted away from this thought and come back to many a time.

Today, I write to you, as I found my way back to it again.

As you grow in the years to come, you will be faced with challenges that go beyond a broken toy or a lost crayon (sad as it may sound right now, yes there are worse things, darling...).

And all these challenges will test who you are, in that particular moment (yes, we all exist in multiple roles, personalities & shades, varying from time to time and situation to situation.)

Don't get bogged down by the deeper layers of this thought, just now. There will be time for that too, my love.
For now, know this - a simple act of picking up a book and reading something enlightening, a small act of going back to an age-old hobby like drawing or playing the keyboard or something as little as turning on the music player only to tune into your favorite playlist from ages ago is enough to remind one that a smile is but all our day needs to look up from any challenge that life may throw our way.

Your old woman here had one such experience today.
Not only was I able to get my fingers back on the keyboard after years, I even managed to play what I am sure was the tune of one of my favourite songs from a while ago.

It felt good.
In fact, it felt better than good.

In one little moment, through one little act of going back to music, I found how happiness & all things important in life for that matter, will always lie in the little things.

As long as you remember this, my little girl, all will be good.
In fact, it will be better than good :)



Love,
Maa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...