Thursday 2 May 2019

The Crescent-shaped Cave

Dear Piya,

Doesn't it feel nice when something makes us warm & comfy?
Like an icy treat on a hot day.
Like a soft blanket on a cold night.
Like a tight hug on a blue day.
Like your arms around my neck, any day of the year.
Like some few minutes of sleep for a young mother, any time of the day!

There are but a few things in life that fall under the category of 'snug'.
That is what sleep should be like - cozy, sheltered, relaxed & prolonged.

If only wishes as such were like apples on a tree, I would have climbed up to the highest of branches just to pluck a small fruit.

Hmmm...yes, sweetheart, this letter is about a nice & warm sleep.
But it isn't my sleep we are going to talk about; its yours.

But before the finer details, here’s a little fun fact-
The essence of somebody’s deep sleep lies in the posture they don when asleep.

Some people spread their arms out and spread like a bed sheet on their bed.
Some people curl up like a caterpillar in its cocoon.
Some others lie down straight, as if they were sentenced to sleep in an attention-position.
And some others like me keep changing postures all night long - sometimes on their back, sometimes on their tummy, but mostly on their sides with a curve being formed through the position of their hands above & legs below, like the entry to a cave.

Now, I have already written so much about how tough an ordeal it is to put you to sleep, you active, active kiddo! But here is something new - what happens when the world is asleep?

This is what -

It was a few weeks back when this started.
We were asleep.

It must have been a few hours post midnight.

You are aware that all of the bed falls short when it comes to your sleep-circling-tour across it, don't you?
Oh, well, now you know.

So it was during one of these topsy-turvy circling around round of yours that your leg kicked me in the face, yet again.
You would expect me to get used to this after having been kicked, slapped, hissed at, sniffed over & even bum-pushed into my face by your little body.
But as they say, hundredth time is the charm!

And as the charm left my face hurting I swung your body around with an angry gesture of 'Go back to sleep, and out of my face, Piya!"

Well, the expected happened.

Your sleep-cycle broke and you started crying.

I felt bad, but what can you expect from a person whose REM sleep you just disturbed with a kick-in-the-face?

Anyways, my motherly love towards my darling baby (You, darling, that's you), came into play.
I pulled you close to myself.
You turned away, and so I had to pull you back in.

As you neared me, your back took rest against my chest. You curled up into the cave that was formed by the position of my neck through my thighs - A Crescent-shaped Cave.

Your sobs slowly faded away into some lullabies that I sang to you, and soon enough you were fast asleep.
It has been weeks since that first time, but you have found and claimed your Crescent Cave every night ever since.

I experience your hair tickling my nostrils, at times.
Sometimes your head hits my jaw as you enter the cave with a thud.
I can also feel your chest breathing in & out, with the vibrations passing through my juxtaposed shoulders.
And then there are times when you rock my body awake when the cave is out of reach due to another posture that I am sleeping in, to put me into the desired C-shape of sleep wherein lies your comfort zone.

This cave through my curving body, seems to be your secure, warm, cozy shelter for a sound & loving sleep.

Tell you what, love?
This cave is my shelter of a sound sleep too as nothing in the world compares to feeling your heart beat through my chest, because that’s how close we are as you sleep with your head resting on my arm, in the Crescent Cave you love so much, that you come knocking every night on it.

Of all the tiring days when I have waited endlessly for you to get tired & fall asleep, this is one wonderful memory I wish to treasure.
I hope you will too.


Love,
Maa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live & Learn

 Dear Piya, I am sorry. I am not perfect, darling. So, this happened- The festival of Navratri is going on. I have been a fan of dancing Gar...